Lionel Messi has won the 2022 Best FIFA Men’s Player Award – no shocker here! But, just who did Lionel Messi vote for in the FIFA Best Awards? See the World Cup winner’s three picks, plus the full winners list and votes.
Neymar, Mbappe and Benzema Got Messi’s Vote
Having won the 2022 FIFA World Cup in December and also landing Ligue 1 with PSG last season, then it’s no surprise Lionel Messi has scooped the 2022 Best FIFA Men’s Player Award.
Messi, 35, who has won seven Ballon d’Or’s too, topped the award with 52 scoring points – which was 8 clear of Mbappe in silver place.
With players, fans, managers and the media all having their say in who won the award, this meant Messi had a vote too.
It was fellow PSG players Neymar that got Messi’s main selection, with Mbappe, who also plies his trade at club level with Messi, in second. While French star Karim Benzema got the third pick from the World Cup winner.
Despite Messi’s vote for Neymar, the Brazilian striker was still only 9th in the table. Mbappe secured second (44 points) and Benzema third (34).
It was also a case of history repeating itself, as Messi also voted for Neymar and Mbappe first and second 12 months ago.
Since joining PSG in 2021, Messi has scored 28 goals for the French side.
Jude Bellingham Was the Highest Voted English Player
Borussia Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham had a great World Cup in Qatar, which propelled him further up the world footballing stage. Yes, he only got 3 scoring points – 49 less than Messi – but this still meant Bellingham was ranked 13th place and higher than Liverpool’s Mo Salah.
Bellingham has also been the focus of a lot of transfer speculation in recent months, with a move in the summer looking likely for the Englishman. Liverpool are the current favourites to get Bellingham’s signature, with Manchester City and Real Madrid next best.
2022 FIFA Best Awards: Full Winners List
- The Best FIFA Women’s Goalkeeper: Mary Earps
- The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper: Emiliano Martinez
- FIFA Puskas Award: Marcin Oleksy
- The Best FIFA Women’s Coach: Sarina Wiegman
- The Best FIFA Men’s Coach: Lionel Scaloni
- FIFA Fair Play Award: Luka Lochoshvili
- FIFA Fan Award: Argentina fans
- The Best FIFA Women’s Player: Alexia Putellas
- The Best FIFA Men’s Player: Lionel Messi
- FIFA FIFPRO Women’s World 11: Christiane Endler, Lucy Bronze, Mapi Leon, Wendie Renard, Leah Williamson, Lena Oberdorf, Alexia Putellas, Keira Walsh, Sam Kerr & Beth Mead, Alex Morgan
- FIFA FIFPRO Men’s World 11: Thibaut Courtois, Joao Cancelo, Virgil van Dijk, Achraf Hakimi, Casemiro, Kevin De Bruyne, Luka Modric, Karim Benzema, Erling Haaland, Kylian Mbappe & Lionel Messi
Related Football Content